Thursday, March 17, 2011

First Birthday Party

So the picture in the opening post shows my first cake for a paying customer. A lady posted on the neighborhood blog that she was looking for a birthday cake for her one year old boy. She was looking for something better than she could do but not as crazy as Cake Boss. So I told her I would be happy to do the cake for her. She hired me after a few conversations and a look at my portfolio. I was happy she trusted a stranger with this special occasion and then we were off!  I had help from my husband, who cut out the fondant circles and helped me deliver the cake. Of course, the cake wasn't ready till the last possible second. And I am starting to realize this is how it will always be. There will always be something to perfect till the last minute, because it is never perfect. So you have to stop when the clock runs out because that is just the way it is!  So the cake turned out fine, and it matched her party decor perfectly.  The customer seemed happy and we were on our way. She was even impressed that I had changed into nice clothes because when she saw me earlier I was wearing sweats and an apron covered in flour and butter.

It was a memorable experience, and I learned a lot from it. With each job, I hope to take a new piece of knowledge away from it that I can use toward making the next cake better. They might never be perfect, but I hope it comes close and makes the customer happy. That is really all that matters.


No comments:

Post a Comment