Thursday, September 1, 2011

For my Husband's Birthday

My husband is from Colorado and is a huge Rockies fan.  Baseball is his favorite sport as well, so I wasn't surprised when he asked me to make this cake.  Here are some pictures in stages to give you an idea how you could do this at home...

Stage 1:  Carve your layered cake in the shape of the hat (this one was white cake with lemon curd and raspberry filling).


Stage 2: Do a crumb coat of icing on the cake to give it a smooth base.

Stage 3: Cover with Black fondant.



Step 4: Use purple fondant for the hat detail and the bill.  If I had more time I would have made the bill thinner and more round, but since we were eating the cake that night we had to improvise.  The letters I cut out free hand, but a stencil would make them look cleaner.


Stage 5: To add stitching detail, use a needle or sharp edge to poke tiny holes.  Making a line first will help you keep the holes in a straight path. 



The Final Product!  He even got dressed up for the picture to match his cake!


No comments:

Post a Comment